Edge High School will provide free on-site learning opportunities and support services for students who need a place to go during the day as required by Executive Order 2020-51. The intention of the Governor’s Order is that the District serve the more vulnerable students, including those with special education services that require in person learning per their individualized education plan (IEP), English language learners, and those in care of the Arizona Department of Child Safety, including Foster Care.
On-site Support Services begin Monday, August 17. Space is limited due to the importance of optimizing the use of available staff and resources, and the critical health protocols that need to be safely maintained.
Those who have the resources to adequately support their students’ remote learning at home are asked, if possible, to refrain from requesting this capacity-driven service. These targeted On-site Support Services will be offered to the extent that physical distancing and mitigation strategies, as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and public health officials, can be ensured. Admittance to On-site Support Services will be reviewed based on need and building capacity.
Edge schools will implement advance scheduling procedures to facilitate planning and to ensure that the number of students present for on-site support does not exceed recommended physical distancing and on-site capacity on any given day. If a school does reach its capacity, a student may need to be placed at another school site or affiliated agency.
On-site Support Services is only available during school hours for the time period in which Edge is providing remote/distance learning to all students in order to comply with the governor’s Executive Orders 2020-41, 2020-44, and 2020-51, Arizona: Open for Learning. When Edge is able to open its schools and provide in-person classroom learning, On-Site Support Services will no longer be available.
On-site Support Services Is…
A place for students who need a quiet, safe environment to independently engage in their remote classes during the school day. It is similar to a supervised study hall.
- Supervised by Edge staff.
- Students are expected to be self-directed and follow all rules, policies, and regulations.
- Available by advance scheduling (See who to contact below). Unscheduled drop-offs are not permitted.
- Highly structured. Students must stay in their assigned area and must remain actively engaged in their remote lessons.
- Offered at no cost to Edge students.
- Students bring their school-issued Chromebook. Wi-Fi is available.
- Small group sizes are maintained to maximize physical distancing.
- Cleaning and hygiene guidelines are strictly followed.
- Face coverings are required.
On-site Support Services Is Not…
- It is NOT traditional teacher-led, in-person instruction by a teacher.
- It is NOT the same as an engaging in-person classroom environment.
- It is NOT a place for students to hang out and socialize.
- Teachers and counselors are not necessarily available to meet in-person.
- Offered at Edge Himmel Park Campus
- Full-day, aligned with the school’s calendar and regular school hours.
- Not available during school breaks and holidays
A Typical Day
- Students report directly to their assigned school location for the day; limited movement to other areas of the school
- Services and resources provided to meet critical needs
- Self-directed, student-paced academic work and assignments aligned with Remote Learning/Distance Learning
Open to All Edge Students
- Appropriate behavior is expected of all students. Just as in the traditional in-person setting, students may be subject to school discipline and removal for violations of school rules and district policies and regulations.
Health and Well-Being
Who to Contact
- Students at Edge Northwest should contact Dave Thatcher, School Principal (520-877-9179, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Students at Edge Himmel Park should contact Rob Pecharich, District Principal (520-881-1389, email@example.com)
To participate in On-site Support Services, support persons/guardians or students over 18 years of age are required to sign the COVID-19 Waiver.