By Alyse Garcia
While balancing many things in life like school, work, family, and friends, it may be hard to stay positive and motivated, especially when things don’t go your way. Staying positive in the face of adversity or stress is beneficial for you because you can better learn how to handle your emotions and stay happy. Having negative emotions so often and not being happy has a detrimental effect on your mind and body. Here are some tips on how to stay positive and motivated.
- Remember that in the big picture of things, little things don’t matter. One failed test isn’t going to ruin your entire life; you can work on your weak skills to do better in the future, which is advantageous for you.
- Prioritize what is important and healing for you. Participate in hobbies and activities that make you happy. If you are in school working towards a diploma, work hard for that and put schoolwork first.
- Talk problems out. If you are feeling upset or mad, talk to someone you trust. Talking can help relieve some of the anger and sadness, and make you feel better. Also, if you have a fight with a friend, talk it out with them instead of yelling or fighting.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks. If you have a chance to do something you want to do, go fit it, just as long as it is not harmful to you or anyone else. Having fun is important during this time of your life.
- Eating and sleeping well are helpful and will keep you happy and healthy.
- Learn how to take criticism and change. Noticing that you are wrong or need to change is beneficial for you and others. Learn from your mistakes.